Adding a Spotify Follow button to your website is a sure way to engage with fans and increase streaming activity. Keep reading to learn how to set this up!
Setup Spotify Follow Button
1. To start, head over to your website.
Set up your AE JS on your website as usual then add the following to your markup. The markup will look something like this:
<a href="#" data-ae-follow-link="spotify" data-ae-artist-id="2ApaG60P4r0yhBoDCGD8YG">Spotify Artist follow</a>
Make sure you fill in you own Spotify artist ID. Assuming you've added the right artist ID that's all you need to do to set up the pre-save on your site. Continue with step 2.
Developers Note: The HTML will also accept IDs in the Spotify URI format. For example:
If the incorrect HTML tag is used, the ID type will take precedence. For example, data-ae-album-id="spotify:track:4KXwFI9pgJLpUIAc9oSL8j" will be treated as a track follow. Also make sure you remove the ?si=blahblahblah section of the ID that Spotify sometimes adds.
2. Modify the app's permissions.
- From the AE dashboard, click on AE Connect, found in the top right menu bar.
- Next, click on the Spotify icon. You need to have the Spotify Social App set up already.
- A box will pop up and you will see two tabs: "Basic Settings" and "Advanced Settings." Click on "Advanced Settings."
- In the box that says "Add Additional Permissions," type in: user-library-modify
- Scroll down and click "Save Changes.
How this will look to the user
The user will see a “Login and Follow [Artist]” button on the site. The look of the button will depend on how you have styled it. Our help docs on styling AE Connect can also be used to customize your follow artist button.
A click on the Follow Artist button will trigger the Spotify registration process. This will act exactly like a regular Spotify Register, however the follow action will happen right after registration. The user will not have to take any extra steps and will be returned to the page as per usual, with an optional “You are now following X” message.
That's it! Enjoy watching the data roll in.
With a custom Spotify Pre-save button, you get valuable data about your fans, allowing you to target and segment with precision. Learn how to use this data to create a killer campaign here!